Thursday, May 31, 2018

The New and Improved Timber Wolf: A Review


We rode Timber Wolf on Saturday, May 26, 2018, the actual date of Worlds of Fun’s 45th Birthday.  I ended up riding twice once in the universally proclaimed “best seat” on Timber Wolf, first row of second car (train 2), and once in the very front (train 1).  I probably would have ridden again if I had had the chance.  So much to do so little time.  


I have been riding Timber Wolf since I first started riding coasters in 2004, and it was the first time in probably fourteen years that I had the innate desire to ride it more than once in a row.  I really liked it.  Timber Wolf has always seemed to have two separate definitive segments, so let's start with the first half, prior to the new turn area.  This section was completely re-tracked in the 2015 and 2016 seasons and includes everything from the first drop, turn, second drop and structure fly-through (otherwise known as the Bob’s Turn).   Overall, this first half was always the best part of the ride, to me, with massive airtime both at the top of the first 180-degree turn and Bob’s Turn (named after the defunct Flying Bob’s Coaster).  Immediately following the re-track, this section offered a smooth, yet much more mild, tame experience.  This year, it seems to have picked up some of the lost spunk, with just a touch of intensity, speed and gentle airtime following the first drop.   It’s smooth and re-rideable, and most importantly. FUN.  That last aspect, FUN, is the most important aspect of any park ride and seems to be being appreciated by the general public too, which is, of course, the whole point.


Moving onto the second half of Timber Wolf, it really all starts with the new turn, which has replaced the original 580-degree helix.  To me, I always felt the original helix created a very disjointed ride.  You were going along, lots of speed, enter the helix and then half way up… BANG…. Boringness.   Get your oars out to help Timber Wolf make it because I always had to wonder as it seemingly crawled around at least the second half of the helix.  The new turn lacks that disjointed experience, it seems to allow the ride to carry on with its intense speed, and creates good continuity for the entire ride. 


The last few seconds of the ride was rough, but that is because it hasn’t been re-tracked yet and I am willing to bet will be vastly improved once it is.  It’s possible that what I look for in a good coaster is different then what others look for, in that I like rides that you want to jump off and jump back on, that have the right mixture of intensity, speed, and fun, which is probably why I like Schwartkopf coasters so much. 

The last point of commentary and I think it’s an important one.  I rode with an old friend of mine from Kansas City and his daughter on both rides.  In fact, they rode in the “wheel” seat (the second row of each car), which is usually not a seat I would recommend, as its usually the rougher of the two rows on each car.  However, not only did his daughter LOVE Timber Wolf, she wanted to keep riding it too, AND universally proclaimed it Worlds of Fun’s best coaster (having already ridden Prowler and Mamba).  For me… that is the quintessential stamp of approval.  After all, we all visit Worlds of Fun or any park because we want to be like kids again, so wouldn’t a kids opinion be the most important?   

Today, Timber Wolf is still, twenty-nine years after it first opened, offering a fun, enjoyable, ride, one that already is creating far fewer “I need a chiropractor” comments and many more “Let’s Ride it Again!”.  People want to ride Timber Wolf again, a good sign for a coaster, and an especially good sign for a wooden coaster over twenty years old.   Thanks to Worlds of Fun and Cedar Fair, Timber Wolf IS fun, and most importantly, NOT a pile of kindling (Thank God!) I for one am thrilled they kept it, thrilled they keep investing in it, and happy to re-ride it any day.  Too bad I live in Florida…




No comments: